Hurrah Hurrah! It's almost the weekend. Even though I'm not working anymore, I still so look forward to every weekend. Maybe it's just habit. Or maybe it's because that's when Tim and I get out and about and have fun. Or maybe I'm on to something. Possibly there really are scads of fun things happening during the weekend.
I've said it so many times now and to so many different people, "There is always so much going on around here, if you cannot find something to do, you aren't trying" . And it's true. It's not even 'The Season' yet when the droves of snowbirds return to swell the population of our area, and hordes of vacationers swoop in for a long weekend or more, and there is already a heavy duty calendar of activities. This list will only grow longer as the hot summer turns into cooler autumn and winter days.
This coming weekend for example has an impressive list of special events that are happening within a 30 minute drive of our house. You ready? Here goes:
1. Fabulous Independent Film Festival
2. Summer Movie Night at the CoolToday Park
3. Giants, Dragons and Unicorns at Bishop Museum
4. Solozano's Gulf Gate Grand Opening (featuring Comedian Fred Rubino)
5. The Friday Night Concert Series (blues night)
6. Suncoast Spearfishing Challenge
7. Venice Beach Party
8. Kiltober at Grove (kind of an Octoberfest with a Scottish lean)
9. South Gate Fest (combination flea market and festival)
10. Exotic Car Festival
11. Battle of the Bridges (a rowing regatta)
12. Chocolate Fest
13. Sunrise Yard Sale (a gigantic multi-vendor yard sale)
14. Sarasota Laps for Life (5K)
15. National Public Lands Day Event (volunteers cleaning up public parks)
16. $7 day for Florida Residents at Mote Aquarium!!!
17. Mystical Bazaar
18. Ski-A-Rees (A water ski team show)
19. National Night Out (Hosted by the Police Department, this is a family event that includes monster trucks, K-9 demonstrations, bomb squad robots etc.)
Okay that is 19 different things going on just here in Sarasota County. Some of these events are happening right here in Venice (# 5, 7 ,11 and 15) so we could literally walk there and back and the rest are just not that far away. How on earth does anyone decide what they what to do? It seems to me as if there is something for everyone somewhere on that list. And even better, a lot of these events are absolutely free! (obviously not all of them)
I don't know yet what we will choose, though obviously I'm leaning toward the Chocolate Festival. Come on! That's not even a question. But Tim and I will mull it over and come to some sort of decision that will make us both happyhappy.
What would you choose?
Whatever you end up doing this weekend make it a point to enjoy it! Meet you back here on Monday :)
Yup, this is me. Some people said, "Sam, you should write a Blog". "Well, there's a thought", I thought to myself. And so here it is.