December 30th, 2022
We've done one more trip around the sun, my friends. The year, 2022 is nearly over. And what a long, strange trip it's been (to quote the Grateful Dead).
Like every year, 2022 had it's highs and it's lows but was mostly in between. I cannot, in all good conscience, say that it was a bad year, but it certainly was an interesting one. Speaking of which, my whole life I was given to understand that the expression, "May you live in interesting times" was an ancient Chinese Curse. But I am not certain that is true. I cannot seem to verify it anywhere. But I do know that back in 1898, Joseph Chamberlain gave a speech in Parliament that began, "I think you will all agree that we are living in most interesting times." Perhaps it's not a curse, maybe it's a blessing. I would like to believe that it is so.
For me, 2022 was the first year that felt as if we had finally moved away from the Pandemic that ruled our lives with an angry and terrifying fist for about two years and I would say that outweighs anything else. It was a bright light after a time of darkness.
Speaking personally, this past year was kind of a a non-year. I feel as if I spent the majority of 2022 either preparing for a surgery, having one or recovering from one. It was not my favourite way to spend 365 days. On the other hand, I've come out on the other side pretty dang nicely. And I love that we are starting a brand spankin' new year without all that drama.
Toward the end of every year, I spent some time reflecting on the part twelve months. I think about where we've gone, what we've done, who I've spent time with, the people I love. I remember how very fortunate I am and consider what I could have done better then I resolve to improve as we move forward.
With that in mind, I've given some thought to my hopes for the new year. I am not looking for perfection. But it would be very nice if 2023 could be better. So here are my thoughts for six ways 2023 could be better:
1. Better Attitudes - There are times when I really need to give myself an attitude adjustment. Just changing the way I see a situation can completely change the way I deal with it. Which, in turn, affords a better outcome.
2. Better Decisions - Sometimes this just involves the decision to exercise more or eat better. Or maybe the decision to say yes to an invitation instead of my automatic, no thank you. Be more social. Or the decision to be kinder to those around me. Or even kinder to myself. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy.
3. Better Health - Of course taking better care of myself will lean me toward better health, but there are some things over which we have no control. So I am going to hope that 2023 brings us all the gift of better health.
4. Better Timing - You know how they say that 'timing is everything'? Well that's not true. It's not everything, but it is a lot. No matter if it's timing for cookies, running, work or romance, timing is important. And think this is one that I have to give up to the Universe. It's not something within my control. I will absolutely wish that the Universe will afford us all some better timing. Get those stars in proper alignment.
5. Better Opportunities - I'm sure those better opportunities are out there, somewhere. I just have to seek them out. And then take advantage of them.
6. Better Luck - I think we could all could use some really good fortune right about now so let's hope that 2023 brings us all a terrific wave of good luck.
However you ring in the New Year, please have fun and stay safe. Hugs all 'round.
Happy New Year Y'all!
Leave a Reply.
Yup, this is me. Some people said, "Sam, you should write a Blog". "Well, there's a thought", I thought to myself. And so here it is.